Sunday, January 6, 2019

On Starting a 2nd-Half Career

With retirement approaching (I'll be 65 in April), I know I need a second-half career, and I know I don't want to continue in the work-a-day world I have been in for the last 45 years.  I have always been in secretarial/admin/office work, since my first job right out of high school in 1972.  But, it's never been more than just a job, and I have always longed to work for myself.  I love to type; yes, I love to type.  I have excellent grammar and communication skills, and this seems to be the perfect fit for me.

Actually, I have been following Janet Shaughnessy's blog, Transcribe Anywhere, for two years now, waiting for the chance to jump in--waiting for the courage to jump in.  I believe time has forced me to take this leap, so now, yes, I am excited but also a little trepidatious.  I know I cannot go on working the way I have in the corporate world, yet I cannot afford to retire on social security alone.  My goal is to take her course and to hone my skills and expertise before I actually depart my day job, and to hopefully have a  client or two by then, even if they pay meager wages to being with.  I will consider this my apprenticeship.  Internship and exposure are invaluable.

So, as soon as I get my taxes back this year, I will be finally purchasing Janet's course and delving in.  That gives me a year to establish myself as a professional transcriptionist and ultimately make that transition from office worker to self-employed home worker.  

Wish me luck and success!  66 will be the first day of my new career. 

No comments: